1 more for growing Big List of related crimes being swept under rug
Morgan Evenson was walking home in downtown Minneapolis on the evening of Dec. 13 when a black man got out of his car, chased her down, tackled her and repeatedly thrust a 3-4-inch blade into her flailing body.
The 26-year-old computer-store clerk frantically fought back, kicking, scratching and screaming for help.
At some point, neighbors heard her screams and came to her aid. Her attacker – described as a Somali man in his early 20s, about 5-foot-7 with a slight build and wearing grey stone-washed jeans – fled.
Evenson was left bleeding on the curb with 14 stab wounds on her arms, neck and back. Her kidney was lacerated. She was lucky to survive.
It happened while she was walking home from the Apple Store, where she worked, about eight blocks away from her apartment. That’s when the man attacked her for no apparent reason. Police, who have not made any arrests in the case, are calling it a botched robbery.
Evenson told KSTP she struggled with her attacker at the corner of 32nd Street and Fremont Avenue and she considers herself lucky to be alive.
“It was horrifying, because I could feel something that felt like it was stinging me, but it was him stabbing me,” she said. “Doctor’s told me I had 14 wounds that needed stitches, including a lacerated kidney.”
Evenson told KSTP her main concern now is getting better and helping police find whoever did this so he cannot do it again.
“I cannot imagine anyone attacking someone like that and as a woman it is especially frightening, but I knew I had to fight back and I want him to know I am OK and that he will be caught,” Evenson said.
Police have called the case unusual for the level of brutality just to get a woman’s purse, leading some to wonder if the assailant didn’t want more than just a purse.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the city’s largest newspaper, has been AWOL on the story.
The newspaper’s on-duty news editor, Maria Reeve, did not return WND’s calls Tuesday to inquire about why it went dark on such a brutal, unprovoked attack on a defenseless, unarmed woman walking home from work.
Other media, such as the Southwest Journal, have reported on the crime but left out the assailant’s full description as a Somali migrant.
Only one media outlet, local ABC News affiliate KSTP, included in its on-air coverage the fact that the victim described her assailant as Somali, but the station’s website article failed to mention that fact.
Watch KSTP’s description of the attack and the suspect in the report below:
A friend of Evenson’s started a GoFundMe page to raise money for uncovered medical costs.
The page said Evenson was readmitted to the hospital Dec. 19 to monitor a recurring fever and blood pressure.
As of Tuesday afternoon the GoFundMe page had raised more than $15,000 for uncovered medical bills.
No isolated case
The case of Morgan Evenson continues a pattern of Somali crimes being covered up, downplayed, lightly investigated and eventually falling off the radar in Minnesota.
Here are just some of the Somali-related cases in Minnesota that never seem to get resolved.
1. Justine Damond, 40, was killed in July after calling police to report a sexual assault in progress in the ally next to her home in Minneapolis’s 5th precinct. Two officers arrived in a squad car, and the one sitting in the passenger seat, Officer Mohamed Noor, fired across his partner at Damon when she approached the police car in her nightgown.
No formal charges have yet been brought against Noor, who was precinct’s first Somali refugee to be hired as a cop, a fact that Mayor Betsy Hodges had bragged about in her city newsletter.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman was recorded earlier this month telling a gathering of union members that he was frustrated at a lack of evidence to charge Noor.
Freeman has since apologized for his remarks, saying they were “ill-advised”, and promised more details on the “status of our charging decision” in the coming days. Relatives of Damond said last week they were concerned her death was not being investigated properly.
2. For three straight days in late June 2016, residents of Linden Hills neighborhood on Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis were terrorized by a group of more than a dozen Somali men in their early- to mid-20s. Several of the men threatened to rape a female resident of the community, saying it was their right under Shariah law, while others drove their cars over neighbors lawns shouting “jihad,” set off bottle rockets, and pretending to shoot people on the beach. The Minneapolis police were repeatedly called, but every time they responded too late to make any arrests, and the investigation never resulted in any arrests. The story was carried by one local TV station and ignored by the newspapers.
3. In 2014 a mysterious New Year’s Day explosion occurred at a building containing several apartments and a grocery store in the heavily-Somali area of Cedar Riverside, Minneapolis. According to a Freedom of Information lawsuit filed by Judicial Watch, the city fire department requested that the federal ATF not investigate the explosion, which killed three people, and the investigation has never come to an official conclusion on the cause. All of the apartments were occupied by Somali residents.
4. In April 2017 WND reported on the presence of “Shariah cops” patrolling the streets of Cedar Riverside, making uninvited visits to the homes of local Somalis to make sure they were living in compliance with Sharia, requiring appropriate attire for women and minimal contact between unmarried members of the opposite sexes. Police said they were “monitoring” the situation but made no arrests, even though they knew the identity of the lead suspect, Abdullah Rashid, and had complaints from local Muslims about Rashid and his cohorts harassing them.
5. In August 2017, someone threw a low-grade incendiary device into a window at the Dar al-Farooq Islamic Center in Bloomington. The device was thrown into the imam’s office through a window at a time when the imam was not there. No one was hurt. Gov. Mark Dayton and local CAIR officials immediately labeled the incident an anti-Muslim “hate crime,” despite not having any evidence to tie the attack to an anti-Muslim person or group. No arrests have been made, but the mosque has raised thousands of dollars of sympathy money off the incident.
6. In November 2017, a Somali man carried out a bloody knife attack against two brothers in the changing room of a clothing store at Mall of America. The police and local media described the incident as a botched robbery in which the two brothers were attacked after trying to stop the Somali from shoplifting. WND has since been told by a friend of the family that the narrative put out by the media was not accurate, that the attack was completely unprovoked and random.
Debra Anderson, chair of ACT For America’s Minnesota chapter, said she has been trying for four years, without success, to get Minnesota sheriffs to train their departments to better prepare and deal with Sharia-related crime such as FGM, honor violence and terrorism.
She said it was telling that no police response was recorded in the stabbing attack on Morgan Evenson. Her life was only saved because she fought back and her screams were heard by people living and working in the area.
“It was interesting the articles I read didn’t say anything about the police coming. Not a thing. Just sounds like the classic media template used in Europe,” Anderson told WND. “You had to get all the way through that KSTP [broadcast only] report to find out he’s Somali, and it was never mentioned in the other media outlets at all.”
That’s very disconcerting for someone who has been trying to educate Minnesotans about the pitfalls of kowtowing to the Somali community and its “civil rights” advocates at CAIR.
“It’s unofficial but Minnesota law enforcement agencies are enforcing, or at least tolerating, Shariah law. Most people don’t know it yet but the police are not here to protect the indigenous Minnesotans anymore,” Anderson said. “They have been incrementally changing their search policies and their use of force policies for years. We’re not being protected anymore. They’re protecting the Muslims, so it’s becoming increasingly like Europe. Yes, it’s here now.”
Written by Leo Hohmann for World Net Daily ~ December 28, 2017.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml